Google Analytics

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Protective Styles, Breakage, & Product Selection

This month Ask Kenya addresses three questions. She provides advice about protective styles, breakage and hair product choices.


Dear Kenya,

I was wondering is there such thing as keeping hair protected for too long? I've always heard to let hair breathe but keeping it protected helps retain length so... How much is too much protecting?

I am asking because I am planning on keeping my hair in weaves as much as I can 'til spring and if I do wear my hair out I plan to have it in a frohawk so it still will be protected but will also be able to "breathe"

Betsy


Dear Kenya,

What name brand of shampoo & conditioner do you recommend for natural hair soft texture shoulder length. The humidity is killing.

ClassyChiK_1


Dear Kenya,

I have been in transition for about 6 months and I was thinking about cutting my permed ends off and keeping my hair in kinky twist. I just wanted to know if it was a good idea because I have real bad breakage at the back of my hair. The back is a lot shorter that the rest of my hair.

Bennisha



Betsy,

I do not consider keeping your hair in a weave on a regular basis
"protecting" your hair. Sure you are not doing anything to it, but the
added hair can damage your own hair. I would pay attention to
your edges and make sure the weave is not causing them to thin. I
think alternating the hair style can be beneficial. Just be careful in
how you manipulate the hair and make sure you are keeping it well
conditioned and moisturized.

Kenya
Your Natural Styling Guide


ClassyChiK_1,

You can try the Jane Carter Solution Hydrating Invigorating Shampoo (SLS
FREE) and the Jane Carter Conditioner. You should also try doing steam
treatments. If you do not wish to invest in a steamer you can mock one by
covering hair with a plastic cap after you have shampooed and applied
conditioner to hair. Then take some hot wet towels and wrap around your
hair for 15 mins. You can warm the wet towels in the microwave for a few
seconds.

Kenya
Your Natural Stying Guide


Bennisha,

If your hair is breaking in the back, Kinky twists may not be the best idea because the extentions would put added tension on the hair and may
break it even further.

Other styling options you can consider include individual
twists, flat twists, or rod sets using just your own hair. These styles
are easy to maintain. When wearing any of these styles be sure to
moisturize daily as natural hair can dry out very easily.

Kenya
Your Natural Stying Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment